Thursday, August 8, 2013

The Clueless Baker: Multigrain Bread

Okay, I finally did it. I made a full-fledged bread recipe! I kneaded the dough and rolled it into a loaf. It was a little stressful, but I did it! I nearly botched it though.

I did everything the book said...well...almost. I heated the ingredients that it said to, I mixed everything together. The book had a guide on how to knead bread. I added enough flour to the point where the bread no longer stuck to anything and I let it rise. It rose very well, and it was finally time to bring out the bread pans and roll the dough...and then I realized something...I didn't add the egg. After a few frenzied moments of panic and swearing I decided to improvise a little. I grabbed the egg and cracked it over the dough while it was still in the bowel. I used my hands to coat the dough and then separated the dough slightly while scooping what I could of the egg into the pocket.  I continued to massage the egg into the dough until there was little remnant of the egg in the bowl. Now, a new problem arose, the dough was wet again. This makes it really hard to roll the dough out on the counter. I took a little extra flour and dusted the dough and proceeded to separate it into two pieces and roll them into loaves. Here's how they turned out:









I couldn't believe it actually worked! It wasn't exactly the kind of multigrain bread that I was expecting. I eat a lot of Dave's Bread and it was a lot of texture and flavor, my sister refers to it as "hippie bread". Instead it was a subtler texture and flavor, but still distinctly different from white bread. The texture was slightly grainy and dense, but still had a lovely flavor. Have you even had Oatnut bread? It tastes like that.

Next up MUFFINS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment