Monday, July 29, 2013

No Knead Casserole Bread- The Clueless Baker

So I was finally able to bake a yeast bread. However, since I've only ever used yeast once (and according to my mom I didn't work that time) I was hesitant to make a bread that had to be kneaded. Thankfully this was the first bread recipe in the "Yeast Breads" section.

It turned out nice if I do say so myself:



Unfortunately it fell (how do I fix that?):



After using yeast in this recipe I can safely say that the last time I use yeast it did not work! The bowl I used almost wasn't big enough to hold all of the dough once it rose! I also didn't realize that yeast had a smell to it. It didn't stink or anything, I could just tell that the scent that came from the bread as it was rising and baking was from the yeast. According my sister loved the smell and said it reminded her of her early childhood (my mom used to bake a lot!).

As for the taste...well... there really isn't much to say. It tasted like bread. There wasn't anything special about it, but it wasn't awful either. It just tasted like bread. The only way I can think of expanding on that is to say that it didn't taste like Wonderbread or like bakery bread, or those French baguettes you can get from the grocery store...it kind of tasted like those Hawaiian Bread Rolls that my family buys for Thanksgiving. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

If you cut into it right one might be able to use it for sandwiches, but this is not the case for me. I cut into it like one would a pie and just spread jam on the triangle. We already had some bread in the house and I didn't find the bread that great, so the rest of the bread (about half of it) will either go in the garbage or may the squirrels outside will eat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment