Saturday, June 22, 2013

The Clueless Baker: Blueberry Lemon Bread

For those of you who used to watch my Kitchen Newb videos on Youtube, this may seem familiar. I've decided to stop making those videos for a variety of reasons. I'm not very entertaining to watch, my instructions are hard to follow, and my opinions on the food were short and vague. So, I'm going to try posting pictures of the food I make and give a little background on the book, as well as my opinion on the recipe. Chances are my writing won't be any better than what I was able to do on camera, but I figure it's worth a shot.

The Clueless Baker by Evelyn Raab is the third installment of the clueless series. These cookbooks are meant for absolute beginners who have absolutely no idea what they are doing. I have all three but I wanted to bake and this seemed like a good choice for a simple recipe. The first recipe I chose was a Blueberry Lemon Bread. I love lemon and didn't want something overly sweet so it seemed perfect.

.......I nearly destroyed it. I had been looking back and forth between two different recipes and when I preheated the oven I preheated it at 375 rather then the 350 it was supposed to be. Thankfully I checked on it 40 minutes in (20 minutes short of what it was supposed to be) and the top was cracked and it was a perfect golden hue. I double checked the book and realized my error and quickly took it out of the oven.



I finished off the bread by applying the glaze exactly as the book said......then I tried to take the bread out of the pan.



Yep, failed miserably! At least it was still edible. It was delicious too. Very moist, but not soggy. Sweet, but not overly so and the lemon taste was strong but not over whelming. There was even bit of tartness to the bread that gave it a perfect balance. I made the bread yesterday...it was gone by this afternoon. Sweets don't last long in my house when everyone likes it.

Next up from this cook book Cheese Bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment