Wednesday, April 17, 2013

I'm back

Hello,

If you followed my "Countdown to 2012" you probably remember my last post. I stated that "blogging isn't for me", so why am I starting a new blog? Well, I've had some personal revelations after starting college again.

1. While I enjoy reading about psychology and learning about the different breakthroughs in the field of psychology over the years.....I don't really care for the processes that go into the career of psychology. Not only that, but job options are not as varied as I once thought. I'm not interested in working for the government, I don't want to be a traditional psychologist, and I don't want to be a consumer psychologist. This leaves me with very few options.

2. I realized I don't want to be in school for another 6-8 years. That's the amount of time I have to put into psychology before I have enough education to get into most entry level jobs. I really can't get much on the job front with a BA in Psychology. I need a minimum of a MA, but ideally would need a PhD. I just don't really want to spend that much time in school anymore. After taking two years off I feel like I've developed varied interests and school isn't the be all end all of my life anymore.

3. I don't care if I have the "smart"  or "academic" career anymore. I want a job that I will, at least to a certain extent enjoy. I don't care if I work a notable company anymore either. It's no longer a priority.

4. During my two years off my creativity developed and grew to the point that a purely scientifically career no longer seems as satisfying as it once had.

So that brings us to why I started another blog. I'm changing my major from Psychology to English. I want to be a book editor, I love reading I always have. My personal library of books contains at least 500 books. These range from text books to fiction books, to music books to comics.  Literature is a big part of my life and I want to pursue that as a career. My English grades haven't been quite a good as they could have been (I got 3.7 and 3.8 in my two mandatory English classes). Mostly though I think this comes from my lack of confidence in my writing abilities. That's where this blog comes into play. This blog is a place for me to exercise my writing skills. I will be doing this mainly by writing reviews and the media and products I consume. I might include other topics as well, but for a start this blog will be a review blog. Books, random products I find, giveaway wins, and BzzAgent Campaigns (which I will explain in another post).

I hope to hone my skills in this endeavor and find fun and interesting items along the way.
Hobey-ho, on we go.

PS: Some of you might recognize the reference in my last sentence, do you know what my blog name is a reference to?

No comments:

Post a Comment